Onancock, Virginia, first called Port Scarborough, is one of only a handful of Virginian towns and cities still in existence that were founded in 1680, the year of the Virginia Assembly’s Act of Cohabitation—which encouraged the development of a few key, port-of-entry towns throughout the colony. The winding deep-water creek by Onancock linked its high-banked land to the Great Chesapeake Bay, making the town ideal to serve the Eastern Shore.In spring, summer and fall, boaters traveling the Chesapeake Bay tie up in Onancock’s sheltered harbor by the night and by the week. On any day, ocean-going sailboats dock alongside trim yachts at the town wharf or anchor out in the creek. Commercial fishing vessels also use the wharf, and working tugs maneuver barges loaded with oil as well as sand, stone and gravel used in the manufacture of concrete blocks. Onancock Wharf & Marina boating facilities are available to Chesapeake Bay Sailing Vessels and Chesapeake Bay Power Boats.
For more information, visit http://www.onancock.com/TownofOnancock/Home.html